Thursday, October 20, 2011

Palakkal St.Mathews Church - Thrissur



This picture is of Palakkal St.Mathews Church. Palakkal is a suburb of Thrissur district in the state of Kerala located in south India. It is about 6 km from Thrissur City. The main center of Palakkal is Palakkal market stop, where the St.Mathews church is situated. It is on the route between Thrissur and Kodungallur.
Palakkal has a famous Church, which is situated along the main road itself. It is called St.Mathews church which is famous for Oottu thirunal or "Traditional feast". This feast is celebrated in remembrance of Jude the Apostle.

St.Theresa's Church, Eravu - Thrissur


This picture is of St.Theresa's Church, Eravu (Kappal Palli) which is in Thrissur District, Kerala. Forane is Kandasamkadavu. This Church was established in 1944. Parish is divided into 17 family units and there are around 850 families in parish.

HISTORY : In A.D. 900, 7 families establish a chapel in Arimpur. Etymological Arimpur means the "Puram of Ari" (Village of rice). Eravu - Arimpur regions are surrounded by water on four sides. On Aug 7, 1926 (1102 chingam 22) Mr. Devassy Varuthunny Poopady of Manalur donates his 72 cent to Propaganda fide and this land was accepted by Fr. Augusty Alexander(chandy) Kayyalath , the then vicar of St: Antony`s Church Arimpur.
In 1936, A chapel is made at Eravu under the leadership of Fr. Peter Kundukulam. A simple and humble beginning to Eravu church was made when a small cross and a photo of Bl: Mary were installed inside the chapel. On Oct 1942, Fr. Devassy Thekkath offers the first ever holy mass in Eravu chapel after receiving the necessary permission from the King of Kochi and Bp. Francis Vazhapilly of Thrissur. During 1942-1966 Rev. Fr. Vicars of Arimpur church and C.M.I Father of Elthurth, who offered holy mass in Eravu chapel. On July 3, 1966 Erection of parish Mar George Alappat, Bp. of Thrissur establishes Eravu Parish and appoints Fr. Antony Irimpan, the vicar of Arimpur as the first parish priest.
On July 19, 1968 Land bought for cemetery After Fr. Antony Irimpan, Fr. Zacharias Puthussery becomes the parish priest. In 1971 Fr. Jacob Paranilam becomes the acting-vicar. In 1972 Construction of a priestly residence. In 1973, Fr. Paul Challissery takes charge as parish priest. It was during his time, the permission for cemetery was secured and the first ever funeral took place in Eravu cemetery. In 1973, Fr. Sebastian Panjikaran (1973-1974) becomes vicar and he is the first ever residential priest of Eravu parish. In 1974, Fr. Jose Kachappilly(1974-77) takes charge as the vicar and builds catechism classes. In 1977, Fr. Emmanual Rathappilly(1977-84), the longest serving parish priest takes charge.No one in the parish can forget him. It was he who took all the pains for construction of ship Church. Amidst opposition from engineers, he went ahead with his dream plan of the ship church with great fortitude and inspiring vision.
On July 1, 1978 St. Joseph`s English Medium School starts functioning. On Dec 25, 1983 Mar Joseph kundukulam, the then Bishop of Thrissur consecrates St: Theresa's ship church Eravu. In 1984, Fr. Bernard Thattil (1984-88) becomes the vicar. On Sep 2, 1986 St: Theresa's Church accepts and owns the management of Arimpur High School. In 1988 Fr. John Moolan (1988-92) comes as the vicar. More class rooms are built for English Medium School during his period. In 1992, Fr. Simon Thermadom (1992-96) is appointed as vicar. On Oct 2, 1993 Mar. Joseph Kundukulam, Bp of Thrissur, blesses the new cemetery inside the church. In 1995, The new Priestly residence is built. In 1996, Fr. Geroge Chelappadan(1996-99)becomes the vicar. On July 1, 1997 the first Phase of the new building for the English medium school starts functioning. In 1998, Vincentian sisters starts St. Vincent's convent in the parish.
In 1999, Fr. John Ayyenkana (Jan-July) comes as vicar.
On July1, 1999 Fr. Thomas Kakkasery (1999-2003) becomes vicar .The second phase of the construction of the english medium school commences. In 2002, Silver jubilee celebration of St. Joseph English Medium School. In 2003, Fr. Noby Ambooken comes as the vicar. On June 2003, Fr. Paul Thekkanath takes charge as the vicar. On Oct 2005, Solemn celebration of Eucharistic year with Holy Mass in all 17 units at same time and with rosary procession along the main road. On Nov 2005, Joint celebration of feast of St. Theresa and St. Sebastian in November. On Nov 2006, Completion of the construction of plus two building and blessing of the newly constructed parish hall by Bp. Joseph Pastor Nellankavil CMI. On Feb 2007, Fr. Dr. James Aloor takes charge as The Vicar. On Jan 2008, Fr. Joy Kollannor takes charge as The Vicar.

Mar Thoma Shrine, Azhikode - Kodungallur



This picture is of Mar Thoma Shrine church from azhikode which is in Thrissur,kerala. Azhikode is a coastal village. The nearest towns are Kodungallur and Paravoor. Azikode is a part of Kodungallur municipality. Azhikode has a beach. It is the main attraction of this village. The main economic activity is fishing. This church is one of the seven churches built by St. Thomas.

St Thomas Cathedral - Irinjalakuda, Thrissur


This picture is of St Thomas Cathedral church which is in Irinjalakuda,Thrissur. St Thomas, one of the apostles of Christ, after receiving the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, set about the mission of spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ to the whole world. A review of the life of St Thomas will prove how he fulfilled this great mission in India. According to the tradition, St Thomas came by sea and landed at Kodungalloor (Cranganore) the capital of the then Chera Empire in the year 52 A.D. He baptised families in Kodungalloor and Palayur (Trichur). St Thomas preached the gospel wherever he went, and founded churches.The Cathedral Church of the eparchy of Irinjalakuda got its present existence under the nomenclature and the Canonical Status as Cathedral in the Wake of the Origin of the New Eparchy. This was effected by the amalgamation of the two independent and important parishes of the locality, namely, St. George’s Forane Church and St. Mary’s church, which amicably situated side by side for about a century. Each had its several institutions and properties as well as high resources. St. George Church is chronologically prior as it was established in 1845 A.D. This originated at the request of the Christian merchants who migrated to Irinjalakuda during the regime of Rama Varma Thampuran (known as “Sakthan Thampuran” – 1790-1805) the king of Kochi. He invited the Christian merchants from the neighboring ancient Catholic regions such as Velayanad, Mapranam, Kalparambu etc. in view of trade and industry. Thus a small Church was constructed here, then known as Kombarakunnu under the guidance of the Parish Priest of Mapranam Church. Later they tried for building a spacious Church. However, in 1874 the so called “Mellus Schism” affected the area and the majority succumbed to it. But a ministry resisted and tried to continue in the papal allegiance. With that view they constructed a new and better Church in 1880 and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary (ST. Mary’s Church). Gradually several religious, educational and charitable institutions came up and flourished in the area. Though the Mellusian group got away from that influence and rejoined the Papal allegiance, both the Churches remained side by side as separate Catholic Parishes without territorial limits. They cherished Concord and Cordiality. In 1944 St. George Church was raised to the Status of a Forane Church.
But in the wake of the new eparchy with its title and headquarters in the municipal town of Irinjalakuda, the ecclesiastical authorities thought it better and convenient to amalgamate them as a Single Canonical parish to form the Cathedral of the new eparchy. Subsequently in consultation with the parish priest, Trustees and Representatives of both the parishes, Mar Joseph Kundukulam, then Bishop of Trichur could effectively amalgamate them so as to form a Cathedral Parish, newly dedicated to St. Thomas the Apostle in 1978. While St. George’s Forane Church was changed to be St. Thomas Cathedral Church, St. Mary’s Church was temporarily used as Bishop’s Chapel (Mar James Pazhayattil) and subsequently named as Spirituality Centre. Irinajalakuda is well known for its religious harmony, marketing and commercial facilities.
The Cathedral Parish has, at present a Catholic population of 14,552, belonging to 2921 families. Apart from the Eparchial office and related institutions, numerous Religious institutes, formation Houses, as well as Catechetical, educational and service centers took their origin with the benign and generous support of the Catholic Community of the area. The major religious institution to be mentioned is the Udaya Provincial House belonging to the Congregation of the Mother of Carmel. The Cathedral Parish also has its own multifarious institutes and associations thriving full swing.

St. Joseph's Church, Kuriachira - Thrissur



This picture is of Kuriachira St. Joseph's Church which is in Thrissur.

Kuriachira is an important residential area of Thrissur,Kerala. It is located 2 km away from Swaraj Round in the south direction. It lies beside the Thalore Bye-Pass Road. Kuriachira is 25th division of Thrissur Municipal Corporation. Renowned Malayalam writer and feminist Sara Joseph was born here. Award-winning novel "Aalahayude Penmakkal" by Sara Joseph gives insight into the life, taste, history, people and linguatone of Kuriachira. There are a number of schools in this part of the city like Mar Thimotheus High School (Sara Joseph studied here), St. Paul's Convent Girls High School, St. Joseph's Boys High School.
Nowadays, Kuriachira has become a posh residential area in Thrissur city. The circular-shaped St. Joseph's Church in Kuriachira is very famous. Father Vadakkan (Vadakkanachan), who was a renowned socialist and famous for his 'Pope John Nagar housing scheme for the poor', was one time the vicar of St. Joseph's Church in Kuriachira. He is considered the Father Of Modern Kuriachira. It was in his leadership the place got its everlasting charm. St Gregorios orthodox church is situated in Nehru Nagar, it is in the name of Saint Gregorios of Parumala.

St Lazar's Church, Kottapadi - Thrissur

This picture is of Kottapadi church which is in Thrissur, Kerala. Kottappady is a town between the famous Hindu pilgrim centre Guruvayoor and the renowned market Kunnamkulam in the north-western part of Thrissur district. It is only four kilometers away from the Palayur church established by the apostle St Thomas.

The first Christians had been brought to Kottappady by the Punnathur king to touch and purify the oil brought to his palace. They grew in number and spread around the fort very soon. In 1400 they built the first church with the help of Punnathur king and dedicated it to Virgin Mary. However, around 1775, owing to certain unexpected events the church became dedicated to St Laser. Ever since that, the feast of St Laser has been celebrated every year on 2-3 January. The feast of St Sebastian used to be celebrated on Sunday after 20 January as the small festival but from 1981, both festivals are celebrated together. The feast of the ascension of Virgin Mary is also celebrated, on 15 August.

Now there are about 800 families in the parish. Over the years, several parishes have been separated from it—Parakam, Kaveed, Vailathur, Anjur and Thiruvenkidam (Guruvayoor). It was Kottappady parish that showed the courage and the shrewdness to buy land and to build a church at Ponnany, in the north-western border of Thrissur diocese, withstanding strong opposition from the intolerant Muslim community there. In Palakkad, the famous commercial centre in south Malabar, the first Christian community was built around the ennakkottil of the church in the town. The three-hundred year old building is still there reminding people of the proud history of the church.

St Francis Xavier's church - Chevoor


This picture is of Chevoor St Francis Xavier's church which is in Thrissur, Kerala. Chevoor is a small village in Trichur district. Chevoor is 9 km from Trichur city in the route Trichur-Kodungallor/Triprayer.

St Antony's Church - Cherpu


This picture is of Cherpu St Antony's Church which is in Thrissur, Kerala. This Church was Established in 1860. Cherpu is a small village in Thrissur district. It is 12 kilometres south of Thrissur town and is on the Thriprayar road. A green and beautiful village, it is dotted by a number of temples and has quite a few rivers flowing by its vicinity.

St. Mary's Forane Church - Kandassankadavu



Christian emigration started taking place in Kandassamkadavu as far back as 1673. The first Christian settlers of Kandassamkadavu had been two families called Vadakkemala and Kuruthukulangare who came from Keyikulangara (Chettuvamanappuram), which had been one of the branches of the erstwhile Mahodayapuram. They had to go to distant Enamakkal St Mary’s church for their spiritual needs. When they found the journey to the church too unbearable, they started making the request for their own church at Kandassamkadavu. Without delay they approached Ramavarma Maharaja who ruled over Kochi in those days. They began pressing the demand for the sanction to build their own church. Finally they got the royal sanction (theettooram) in 983 of the Malayalam Era (AD 1807). Thereafter they obtained the permission from the church authorities as well. Then they got the permission of the Puthenchira Governador (Portuguese for governor) who ruled over all the Syrian Christians of Kerala. There began the arduous attempt to build their church. At first they built a chapel in the name of Virgin Mother. On the birthday of the Holy Mother in Kanni 984, the chapel was consecrated in the presence of the Governador. In course of time the chapel was elevated to the level of a parish.

The members of the parish went on increasing day by day. They felt the urgent need for a new, bigger church. The work on the new church began in 1829. By 1837, the new church measuring 400 kol was completed and it stood majestically facing the Kanolikkanal. The old chapel was retained for some more time as the cemetery but when the new cemetery was built it was demolished.


Decades went by and the new church itself started disintegrating and the ever-increasing Catholic population of Kandassamkadavu needed a still bigger church. It was decided to build the new church in the Gothic model which is emblematic of the relationship between man and God. The foundation stone for the new church building was laid by Mar George Alappatt, the bishop of Thrissur on 11 February 1950. In only two-and-a-half years, the new church measuring 7500 square feet, built in the shape of a cross and in the Gothic style, was complete. The church was consecrated on 7 September 1952 by Mar George Alappatt. Long before that, in 1944 itself, Mar Alappatt had given it the status of a forane church.

A bell tower 102 feet tall was also built. Placed on it, there is an artistically beautiful bell weighing 141.500 kilograms and carrying beautiful engravings. Now the Kandassamkadavu parish has about 5000 members fro about 1000 families. The parishioners give whole-hearted support and co-operation to all the programmes aimed at the spiritual, social and cultural development of the parish.